Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Limitless

            Have you ever imagined what you could do with your life if you were smarter? Probably, right. I know I have. Have you ever thought that you weren't using your brain to it's fullest extent. Maybe, at times, but that's not necessarily something I tend to think about. Regardless though, when you go see the new movie Limitless questions like that tend to rise into your thought process.
             Limitless, based on the book The Dark Fields, stars Bradley Cooper as Eddie Morra, a down on his luck writer who is having trouble writing. Eddie's life is already down in the dumps when his girlfriend Lindy (Abbie Cornish), breaks up with him. Depressed, Eddie is uncertain what to do next when he runs into his old brother-in-law Vernon. Vernon seeing Eddie in such a situation offers him this new drug that he's representing called NZT. Vernon promises Eddie only good things from the drug and though skeptical at first Eddie decides, what the hell.
             What NZT does is allow the user to access the entire functionality of their brain; not just up to 20% were told we're able to access. This does wonders for Eddie as he starts performing on levels he's never even dreamed off. However, a wonderful drug doesn't come out of the blue and create better lives with no complications. From this point on Eddie must navigate himself through all of the very high positives and very low negatives that comes with such a powerful drug.
               I loved the premise of this movie as it was something fresh and new and it made you think. However, the movie did have its holes. There were a few times I found myself questioning different things happening in the movie if they were realistic or needed or just plain odd. Don't get me wrong though I was thoroughly entertained. Most of the stuff I'm talking about is ticky-tack stuff that doesn't really need to be worried about and some of you might not even notice.
               The acting in the movie was nothing Oscar worthy, but wasn't bad either; it did the trick. Bradley Cooper did a fine job going between a hot shot and nothing. I was disappointed in Robert De Niro's part as it wasn't as large as I thought it was going to be and almost seemed pointless and unneeded as well.
               All in all, I enjoyed the movie as it's fresh plot was passable enough to cover for its holes and somewhat weak ending. If anything it was enjoyable to imagine what one could accomplish not only if they can put their mind to it, but their "entire" mind to it. I give this movie a thumbs up and a solid 2 out of 4 stars.
                If you don't feel like spending the money to see it in theaters, that's fine, but I recommend seeing it once it's available on DVD and all other devices. It's something I believe both men and women would enjoy seeing as well.

Look out for my next review which will be on the movie Takers starring Matt Dillon, Paul Walker, T.I., and many others.

No comments:

Post a Comment